A4HB Homebuyer's Blog

Methamphetamine and Real Estate

About 3 years ago we discovered that methamphetamine had been smoked in a home one of our clients had under contract.  The house was immaculate, but the testing and cleanup costs were over $35,00.  This was the result of the previous owner’s son smoking a few times with his friends.   Had there been someone living in the house at the time, they could have lost all of their personal property as well (as it is all considered contaminated). Following this experience, we began recommending meth screening tests to each client and paying 1/2 of their $375 cost.  From the

Read More »

Insure Your Condo for Fire & Flood

One of the eternal mysteries in real estate is the fact that lenders don’t always require condo and townhome buyers to show proof of home insurance before they close, nor do they generally require that the property be insured after closing.  In contrast, if you’re buying a single family home, the lender insists on both, since if the house burns down they know they’ll loose the collateral they have for their on the loan., and they also know that most home buyers won’t be making $2000 a month payments on a home that no longer exists, after just losing all the personal

Read More »

Energy Audit Deal for Boulder County

For $120, Boulder County’s Energy Smart program will send both an energy auditor and an energy advisor to your home.  While the auditor is conducting depressurization tests, infared scans and other inspections, the advisor will install high efficiency light bulbs and low flow shower heads if you want and insulate your water heater pipes.  They’ll even install a programmable thermostat for a $20 co-pay. When the energy audit report is completed and delivered, the energy advisor can return for a follow-up meeting to help you review the results and prioritize home improvements based on the cost effectiveness of recommended upgrades.  The advisor can also help

Read More »